Renovations complete at NDSU’s Minard Hall

Minard Hall on the NDSU campus will be fully operational when fall classes start on Monday, Aug. 26, at 4 p.m.

The $18 million renovation project began in spring 2009. Since then parts of the building have been closed in phases for renovations. The building, which was originally constructed in 1901, now has modern technology and design improvements to enhance student learning.

The building houses the English, communication, emergency management, history, philosophy and religious studies, sociology and anthropology, and modern languages departments from the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. It also houses the mathematics and psychology departments from the College of Science and Mathematics as well as the deans’ offices for both colleges.

The renovation added 33,914 square feet to the building for a total of 142,052 square feet. It has 13 classrooms, with 1,023 classroom seats. It also includes research facilities where undergraduate and graduate students conduct research with faculty members.

Classrooms have been updated with:

  • wireless access points
  • more power outlets to support students’ use of technology
  • consoles that allow instructors to control classroom technology, such as projectors and screens, from a single point
  • improved access for people with disabilities

The building also features original woodwork and metal ceiling tiles to preserve its historical character.

Minard Hall, originally named Science Hall, was built in three stages as funds became available. The three sections were built in 1901, 1918 and 1929. The 1902-03 North Dakota Agricultural College Catalog noted that the first section cost about $25,000 and was home to the biology, geology, horticulture and mathematics departments.

On June 4, 1951, the building was rededicated Minard Hall in honor of Archibald Ellsworth Minard, who started as an English and philosophy instructor in 1904 and held several leadership positions during his long career. He was head of the English Department and later served as dean of the School of Arts and Sciences for 30 years. He also served as acting president from July to September 1929.

A dedication of the newly renovated Minard Hall is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 12, as part of NDSU’s Homecoming.

Two lawsuits are pending on the December 2009 collapse of the north wall.

NDSU is recognized as one of the nation’s top 108 public and private universities by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>